Making Besan Dhokla In Cooker is a pretty simple process. It is an integral part of Gujarati menu and is loved and eaten in almost all parts of India. We are from Delhi and the north Indian taste is slightly different than the traditional saurasthra Khaman. Served as evening snack along with Aloo Samosa and Tea in Northern sub-continent region, it’s a popular party menu item. There are basically two versions of dhokla: One made from Besan (Gram Flour) and other from Chana Dal (Edible Pulse). Here we present an easy and instant recipe to make Dhokla with Besan (Gram Flour).
For Besan Dhokla
A Cup Gram Flour Besan
1/2 Cup Curd Dahi, Yogurt Plain, Non Fat
Single Green Chili 3 Inch Length, Chopped into very small pieces
1/8 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
One Ginger Fresh 2 Inch length(approx.), Grated into fine paste
1 Tsp Citric acid Salt Known as Fruit Salt (60% baking soda and 40% Citric acid) or ENO – A brand available in India and ON Indian stores outside India
240 ML water
1 Tbsp Oil Olive Oil or any other
For Dhokla Seasoning
1 Tsp Mustard Seeds Sarson
4 Green Chili 3 Inch Length, Each sliced into two pieces vertically
1/2 Tbsp Cilantro Chopped into small pieces
3/2 Tsp White Sugar
1/2 Tbsp Oil Olive Oil or any other
20 Curry Leaves
1 Cup Water Approx 1 Cup = 240 ML
Making Dhokla paste or Batter Prep Time – 2 minutes
- Add Gram Flour, Curd and 1/4 Cup (Our 1 Cup = 240 ML) Water in a bowl. Mix it well to remove all visible lumps. Mix it for 1 minute.
- Keep aside the bowl for 4 hours to ferment.
NOTE: This step is optional. You can even use the Gram Flour paste straightaway without waiting for 4 hours. The video does ask you to wait for 4 hours but after experimenting, we found that waiting is not required.
- Add rest of the ingredients: Ginger, Salt, Turmeric and Green Chili. Mix well again.
- Add 1 Tsp Sugar, 1 Tbsp Oil, ENO (or Fruit Salt) and mix well again. It should take about total of 2 minutes for mixing.Batter is ready. Lets get the Dhokla dish/pan ready.
Preparing Dhokla tray or pan Prep Time – 2 minutes
- Take an Aluminium bowl. Grease it with Oil completely from inner side. This Oil quantity is not mentioned in above ingredients. Use the quantity according to the size of your bowl.
- Greasing will make sure that Dhokla does not stick to the bowl. Keep the bowl aside.
- This mixture is now ready for steaming in pressure cooker.
Steam Besan Dhokla in Cooker Cook Time – 25 minutes
- Fill 25% of pressure cooker with water and place 1 small half-filled (with water again) bowl inside it.
- Water in the small bowl is important to help it stand stable in the outside water. The outside water should not cross the neck of this bowl.
- Place the Dhokla’s aluminium bowl on top of the small bowl and cover the lid of the pressure cooker (do not put weight/whistle on the lid).
- Keep the stove on high flame and steam the Dhokla for 25 minute.
- After every 5 minute, check to see if water has not completely evaporated. If this happens, add 2 cups of water again.
- After 25 minute, Besan Dhokla would be ready. Switch Off the stove and open the cooker lid.
- Take out the Aluminium bowl.
- Separate the Dhokla from the corners of the bowl, with the help of a knife.
- Take it out in a plate. Cut it in small pieces. You can now either use it as it is or use another bowl to invert it back again.
NOTE;-We do this usually to bring the soft and smooth face on top. It looks good for presentation.To invert, keep the bowl on face and invert using the plate. It should be easy.
Making Dhokla Seasoning Cook Time – 4 minutes
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp of Oil in a pan for about 30 seconds on high flame.
- Add Mustard seeds, Curry leaves and sliced Green chilies. Turn the flame on low.
- After 30 seconds, add 1 cup of water. After mixing well, add 1/2 tsp of sugar and chopped coriander leaves. Cook on high flame for about 3 minutes now.
- After 3 minutes, switch off the stove and pour this mixture on the Dhokla pieces evenly.
- Besan Dhokla is now ready to serve. Enjoy!
Letting Seasoning to penetrate (Optional) (Extra Time – 10 minutes)
- Keep Dhokla aside for 10 minutes. This will help the seasoning settle down and reach all the corners of dhokla. It would also help moist the internal portions .
- After 10 minutes, It is absolutely ready to enlighten your evening.